Human genetics is the study of heredity. It actually discusses the human genome and relates it with inherited characteristics. Diseases are also involved in studying the DNA. There are some genetic disorders which may come from altered genetic material. This course is commonly studied in the degrees in biology and genetics. This field can offer a wide range of specialties ranging from research to counseling and medical screening to law enforcement.
Here are some fields related to human genetics. These fields are highly common nowadays due to the people’s need to scientific knowledge towards what is unseen in the naked eye.
- Laboratory Genetics: this field is in charge of creating solutions to current problems in the field of genetics. The people behind this job have graduated in a Master’s or Doctorate course related in Genetics. They commonly perform experiments which involve working with new plant and seed hybrids. This field highly regard the knowledge developing in agriculture.
- Genetic Counseling: the people behind this field are called genetic counselors. They work in both medical and counseling field. It is suggested that these counselors have a background in psychology. It can highly help when the counselor is already providing pieces of advice to his/her clients. Genetic counselors also analyze the history of a person’s family. With this, risks can be reviewed and thus further information with regard to genetic conditions will be easily obtained. These counselors help one to review the genetic tests that an individual has undergone. They provide referrals to some medical specialists which may offer medical help.
- Clinic Genetics: have a doctorate degree. They are the ones who arbitrate genetic testing. They work to screen and diagnose certain genetic disorders. People in this field devote most of their time in testing a person if he/she has incurred any genetic disorder through genetic tests such as prenatal, carrier and new born screening. They can also provide tests which allow one to know if cancer has already developed in the person’s body.
- Research: People who perform researches are normally a graduate of biology related courses. They may also have some background in the fields of chemistry, math and physics. With this, they tend to work more one the topics related in human genetics. These people work on the issues with regard to prevention, early detection and treatment of existing genetic disorders. They are the ones in-charge of creating technological advancements that can help combat certain genetic disorders before and after birth.
- Education: There are some people who focus more on educating minds in the field of human genetics. These people are in professorial jobs, giving a hands-on lecture through lab works in his/her class. With this, the students can easily grasp the wonderful field of human genetics. They also perform researches which can be used in their curriculum. Human genetics professors are the ones who will observe the development of students majoring in this field. In general, they are people who are theoretically knowledgeable in human genetics sharing their knowledge in the form of lectures and discussions.
Find out more on Human Genetics
Where there's a will there's a way.
Anybody can do anything that he imagines. - Henry Ford