Gene testing is a process of examining one’s DNA by taking a sample from cells in the blood. The cells may also be found in body fluids and tissues. Changes in the genetic material may be known through the use of genetic testing. It finds out is there are missing or additional chromosome through microscopic testing. Alteration of genes may also be known. In general, genetic testing the use of biochemical experimentation to find the presence or absence of normal genetic material found in one’s DNA. Disorders may be known and diagnosed.
Genetic testing may provide certain predispositions to confirm a present genetic disorder on one person. Here are some advantages of why you must utilize genetic testing for medical purposes.
- It can let the parents know even before birth what genetic disorders their child may have.
- It can let the parents be able to improve their health lifestyle to accommodate the needs of their child. It may also help increase the life time of their children once diagnosed a genetic disorder.
- It can allow a person to know his/her risks in acquiring cancer. By regular monitoring of your physical health, genetic tests may provide your current state of health. Early detection of cancer may be known.
- It can also let you know if you have a risk in acquiring cancer. This can be traced in your family lineage. It explains why most of your family member developed cancer.
- It can help you prevent to pass abnormal genetic traits to your children. With this, you and your partner may gain the decision on when to have children. It will let you make informed decisions.
- It can provide relief to couples who have uncertainty in creating a family. It allows them to manage their health care to provide their children the best of what the world can give.
- It can let a person be directed towards available preventive and monitoring treatments associated with related diseases in their family or common in the environment.
Enumerated below are genetic tests available for people to undergo. These genetic tests can highly address some problems with regard to health. Along with these tests are some of the reasons why these tests are utilized.
- Carrier screening – it can help identify individuals who have more than one copy of a certain genet. Expressing a gene in multiple times can result to a disease.
- Confirmation – it allows to know the diagnosis of a certain illness that he/she is currently experiencing the symptoms.
- New born screening – it allows the parents to know what genetic disorder their child may possess. Thus, immediate medical process may be employed to alleviate the negative effects of this disease.
- Preimplantation genetic screening – It allows one to know and diagnose a certain disease for an unborn child. This involves screening the health of an embryo to learn the possible diseases it may have.
- Forensic genetic testing – It allows one to use genetic testing for legal cases. It may solve crimes in hand through a more scientific basis.
Find out more on Genetic Testing here.
Your genes, your blueprint
Anybody can do anything that he imagines. - Henry Ford